Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mamo #79: Block Bluster

Summer 2007 really is almost here, and it's our annual chance to make utter fools of ourselves, go way out on a limb and let everyone see just how bad we are at predicting the future.


Matt's Picks

1. Spider Man 3 ($350M)
2. Shrek the Third ($330M)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End ($320M)
4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ($280M)
5. Ratatouille ($185M)
6. Transformers ($160M)
7. Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($150M)
8. Ocean's 13 ($140M)
9. The Bourne Ultimatum ($130M)
10. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry ($125M)

Matt's Picks

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End ($375.1M)
2. Spider Man 3 ($375M)
3. Transformers ($320M)
4. Shrek the Third ($299M)
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ($250M)
6. Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($189M)
7. The Bourne Ultimatum ($160M)
8. Rush Hour 3 ($150M)
9. Live Free or Die Hard ($140M)
10. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry ($139M)

7 Comments:

Blogger vasta said...

Nice roundup. I should have my summer movie roundup on the site this Saturday.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Uros said...

Hey, what about Surf's Up from Sony Animation (for summer cartoon)?

I'm looking forward the most to Spider Man 3, Pirates 3 and Ratatouille, followed by Harry Potter, Shrek 3 and Transformers/Die Hard 4. Bourne should be also cool and for the rest I don't really care. I'm not sure if I'll see all of them in cinema, since some will be delayed in Eruope and then it's too late already and I can wait for DVD anyway.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Uros said...

BTW, I loved 300 and I can't wait to see Grindhouse. On one hand it's hard for me to see how anybody who liked Sin City doesn't like 300 and on the other hand 300 is a movie which you either like or not. For me it was about basic strong emotions like pride, honor, betrayal and love for your family and country all rendered in very stylized fantasy setting. There's no higher or deeper philosophy behind it. :) It either speaks to you or not.
On the other hand I hated Ghost Rider and I felt I should point that out, because I got a feeling, like you were being baffled about success of 300 the same way as why people liked GR.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Matthew Fabb said...

I hope to get around to finalizing my list of the summer sometime this week and will post it here. However, I'm surprised that you guys didn't talk more about Grindhouse, especially this article, which a number of blogs were talking about after last weekend's box office.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Uros said...

Can't remember in which episode you mentioned this, but 300 is supposed to be more accurate than one might think:

300's director Zack Snyder stated in an MTV interview that "The events are 90 percent accurate. It's just in the visualization that it's crazy.... I've shown this movie to world-class historians who have said it's amazing. They can't believe it's as accurate as it is."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_movie#Historical_accuracy

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys just heard a rumor that Pirates 3 running time is 170mins. Crazy right?





Ky in Boston

6:10 PM  
Blogger Tederick said...

If true, yeah. People already felt that the previous one was a bit too long - pushing it to the three hour mark is really going to nuke some goodwill out there. But hopefully it's not true, for my box office picks if nothing else. :)

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home